Assist dental team in clinical procedures providing a high level of patient care and satisfaction while operating in a team-based environment. Handles a variety of clinical duties for dental office operations. These duties range in complexity and skill, and all aspects of the job require an exceptional level of customer service skills and a strong commitment to working well with patients, hygienists, doctors and other dental office team members.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Prepare treatment room for patients by following prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Act as the support dental assistant for all Dentists within the practice
- Ensure adequate supplies are ordered and properly account for items once received
- Ensure sufficient supplies in treatment rooms at the end of the day
- Prepare patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating and draping patient.
- Review schedule and prepare daily activities for all doctors that they support
- Set up, administration (where applicable) and maintenance of Nitrous/Oxide & Oxygen (N20)
- Ensure proper supply of equipment and materials (stock operatories appropriately) and prepare operatories for dental treatments
- Proficiency in traditional and digital impression taking
- Provide inventory mechanisms for dental lab cases and ensure timely delivery for patient care
- Scan lab and supply invoices to finance
- Suction and Water line maintenance
- Distribute and collect completed documentation from patients including medical history, enter into patient’s electronic charting system, examine missing teeth, inquire if the patient has a chief complaint, and if the patient has ever had an oral cancer screening.
- Provide instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering all of the instruments needed to treatment area, positioning instruments for dentist’s access, suctioning, and passing instruments.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Fill out exam notes as dictated by doctor. Enter treatment plan(s) into the system.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies or by using digital radiography; pouring, trimming and polishing study casts.
- Fabricate and cement temporary crowns and bridges efficiently and ensure all excess cement is removed.
- Obtain and review needed consent for patient treatment.
- Provide postoperative instructions for treatment as prescribed by dental provider.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, reporting repairs, maintaining equipment inventories and evaluating new equipment.
- Uphold office policy including HIPAA & OSHA
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Qualifications:
- Min. High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- Completion of Dental Assisting Program preferred
- Ability to assist dentist with managing medical emergencies; maintain CPR certification where required
- Display initiative by maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and establishing personal networks
- High degree of flexibility